March 22, 2011
SLP has one of the many things that has been keeping me busy over the past year. The Startup Leadership Program (SLP) is an initiative to groom the next-generation of startup CEOs. SLP fellows are in their mid-20s to 30s and have demonstrated outstanding potential and achievement in the life sciences, tech, cleantech, and social sectors. Graduates form an international alumni network to support each other’s entrepreneurial endeavors.
SLP initially started out in Boston under TiE Boston and has now grown to six cities including Silicon Valley, New York, Beijing, New Delhi, San Diego.
Me along with a BITS Alumni, Sudip Dutta, CEO of Aporv.in help run the Bangalore chapter of SLP. We are looking for leaders who can lead new chapters as well as take up existing ones. More details follow
September 23, 2008
Alright let me set context.
This is a page which ICICI bank brought up while doing a credit card transaction on Visabillpay. This page asks me to register my credit card online with ICICI bank using a Internet banking pin number.
So I have seen this page multiple times on this site but always opted out as I don’t have my interent banking pin number. So today I did the same thing and opted out of registration by clicking on the “No, thanks Don’t activate my card now” link, but this is the message I got.
“You have exceeded the number of opt-outs for this card. If you decide to opt-out even now then bank will decline your transaction.”
I was astounded. I had no clue of what was happening. The bank never told me that I had a fixed number of opt-outs from registration. Now I can’t pay my electricity and water bills.
Here’s how this scenario could have been handled using better product design
- ICICI bank should have told users the number of opt-outs they have. This could have been in the form of a counter which is very prominent on every registration request screen.
- Educating the user about the advantages of registering their credit card. In fact ICICI bank is mandating this for higher security and to prevent online credit card fraud. Educate your users by telling them the benefits of doing a particular action and then lead them to this action.
- Forgive your users which they don’t do something that’s needed, after all they are users!
- Send users warning alerts as their opt-outs are nearing to zero. ICICI bank has my email address and my mobile number.
- Get customer care to call users.
Forgive, educate and lead to action – simple but powerful.
What do you think ? What you faced this issue ?