Is the entertainment industry recession proof ?
December 3, 2008
Makes me wonder as I look at Yahoo! Buzz – year in review 2008. These are the top 10 search terms in Yahoo search.
- Britney spears (Music /Entertainment)
- WWE (Sports Entertainment)
- Barack Obama (Politics)
- Miley Cyrus ( Entertainment)
- RuneScape (Online gaming entertainment)
- Jessica Alba (Movie star / entertainment)
- Naruto (Entertainment)
- Lindsay Lohan (Movie star / entertainment)
- Angelina Jolie (Movie star / entertainment)
- American Idol (TV / entertainment)
Note that 9 out of the 10 terms are entertainment oriented, a trend which is similar to 2007.
Wonder if this is a reflection of Yahoo users or whether the entertainment industry is recession proof ? What do you think ? (Note: Britney spears is worth $110 million)
There are two beasts in entertainment which I feel when legalized in India, could change the face of entertainment and prove to be a great opportunity for startups.
- Gambling on TV / in casinos.
- Pornography on TV.
What do you think ? Any ideas for killer startups in this space 🙂 ? (or should we say hot startups 🙂 )
Filed in Ideas!, product management, recession, Search engines, Social Media, Social Tech, Startup, Startup Networking, Technology for real life, User Interface
Tags: britney spears, entertainment in india, entertainment industry, Ideas!, killer startups, new startup ideas, recession, recession proof, startup ideas, top search 2008, vinodh nandakumar, vinodhn, yahoo top searches